Saturday, 25 October 2014

Week 7

After a long focus on proofs, we are shifting gear to study sorting algorithms. While we have not yet begun to learn the common methods, I am eager to add more skills to my repertoire.
Last class, we again got a chance to spend an hour working on on a problem. This one was about moving pennies between two piles, starting from an initial position (64 in one pile, 0 in the other) and ending at some other number in the range [0, 64]. We first had to understand the problem, then devise a plan and carry it out, looking back to figure out when and how we got stuck (if this happened). Within my group of 3, we considered multiple possible approaches, including working backwards from a number to find a pattern, and working forwards in terms of variables (to be able to see connections between the results). Even after the class was over, I couldn't stop thinking about the problem! I am continuing to pursue the idea of using a variable to connect the results, and seem to see a pattern. However, I have not yet fully understood where this pattern comes from, how it works, or how to predict it. So, there is more work left to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment